The Basic Firefighting course is part of the STCW program. Seafarers designated to participate in firefighting operations will be given 16 hours of training in techniques for fighting fires.
Designed for personnel offshore and onshore
A written exam is administered to evaluate student retention of information. Successful candidates will receive a certificate upon completion.
The syllabus focuses on:
• Properly donning a fire suit
• Properly donning and using a self-contained breathing apparatus
• Use portable fire extinguishers to put out class A,B and C fires
• Use all-purpose nozzles for protection and putting fires out
• Advancement of hose teams with the team leader giving commands
• Entering an internal space with S.C.B.A. and put out fire with a fire hose
• Properly entering a watertight door with a fire behind door
• Rescuing a victim (165lb mannequin) from a smoke-filled room wearing an S.C.B.A.
• Taking immediate action upon encountering an accident or medical emergency
• Performing an emergency drill following a station bill
• Identify what extinguishers to use on what class fire
• Properly ventilating a fire
• Correctly overhauling a fire
• Effectively containing a fire and using suppression system
This course is delivered in Lafayette, LA
Items to Bring