HAZMAT EMPLOYEE means a person who is employed by a hazmat employer and who directly affects hazmat transportation safety including: an owner-operator of a motor vehicle which transports hazmat; a person (including a self-employed person) who:
- loads, unloads, or handles hazmat;
- tests, reconditions, repairs, modifies, marks, or otherwise represents
- packaging as qualified for use in the transportation of hazmat;
- prepares hazmat for transportation;
- is responsible for safety of transporting hazmat; or
- operates a vehicle used to transport hazmat.
Training must be completed within 90 days of the first day of employment or the first day of a change in job function. Until training is completed, a hazmat employee must be directly supervised by a person who has been trained. Further, each hazmat employee must be provided with recurrent training at least once every 3 years. Hazardous Materials training requirements are found in 49 CFR, Part 172, Subpart H.