The Basic Firefighting course is part of the STCW program. Seafarers designated to participate in firefighting operations will be given 16 hours of training in techniques for fighting fires.
• Properly donning a fire suit
• Properly donning and using a self-contained breathing apparatus
• Use portable fire extinguishers to put out class A,B and C fires
• Use all-purpose nozzles for protection and putting fires out
• Advancement of hose teams with the team leader giving commands
• Entering an internal space with S.C.B.A. and put out fire with a fire hose
• Properly entering a watertight door with a fire behind door
• Rescuing a victim (165lb mannequin) from a smoke-filled room wearing an S.C.B.A.
• Taking immediate action upon encountering an accident or medical emergency
• Performing an emergency drill following a station bill
• Identify what extinguishers to use on what class fire
• Properly ventilating a fire
• Correctly overhauling a fire
• Effectively containing a fire and using suppression system